Open Water Swim
Adelaide Masters Swimming Club presents The Proclamation Classic Swim on Thursday 28 December 2017. There will be 3 races: 1km (9:30am), 2km (9:30am) and 5 Km (9:00am), all of which start and finish close to the popular Glenelg jetty. Swimmers may choose one distance only.
The Proclamation Classic Swim draws its inspiration from South Australia’s heritage and the single minded endeavour to succeed that was required of the early colonists. Taking its name from the Governor’s Proclamation on 28 December 1836 that established the colony and a rich record of sporting contests dating back to 1857, the event pits swimmers’ skills and endurance against an historical constant, the beautiful waters of ‘the Bay’.
Organised by the Adelaide Masters Swimming Club in association with the Bay Sports Festival, the Proclamation Classic is supported by the Glenelg Surf Life Saving Club, one of the strongest and most successful in South Australia. After keeping a watchful eye over the competitors in the water, the Club hosts the prize presentations and celebrations after the swim.
These are the entry criteria.
- Eligibility – Open to all swimmers, minimum age 18
- Water cover – provided by Glenelg Surf Life Saving Club Inc
- Registration – online via Proclamation Classic Registration or on race day from 8am Glenelg foreshore, just south of the jetty.
- Entry fee — $30 Masters Swimming Australia members or $40 non-members/general public, or $50 on race day (from 7:45am)
- Online entries close – 12 noon, Tuesday, 27 December 2016
- Water conditions – Usually clean, flat seas with no surf (Adelaide is on the shallow Gulf St Vincent, well north of the Southern Ocean). Glenelg is Adelaide’s premier beach destination. Water temperature in the low 20s.
For more information please contact: